We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, which is at no additional cost to you. :)
Any Sandwich Generation sports fans out there? I have to confess, I'm really not. Unless one of my grandkids is playing. Then I'm very definitely a mega fan! Right now some of my grandkids are participating in the Upward Basketball and Upward Soccer programs through the church. They love playing and are learning a lot, as well as having a great time. And I am enjoying getting to help them with their games and practices occasionally.
As a Sandwich Generation grandma, I am also learning a lot in this area. Just this week:
- I learned that when you are the one taking them to their Upward basketball game and get handed the uniforms, IMMEDIATELY put them in the car. Otherwise they may get left home accidentally and that is NOT a great thing. 🙂
- I learned that if you have two or more kids on two or more teams, they'll probably be scheduled at different times. That means you are there twice as long and you might be wise to bring a couple of workbooks and pencils to keep the waiting grandkids busy. An iPhone with lots of kid game apps works well, too, as do DS'and Leapsters.
- I learned to get there early if you hope to get a seat on the stands. I also learned it can actually be better to sit on the floor if our Sandwich Generation bodies can handle that. (Being a member of the Baby Boomer generation, I can't always, but this time I did pretty well.) On the floor, you have a bit more room to spread out which is nice. It's also easier for the grandkids who might be drawing in an activity book.
- I learned there are a variety of options available through the Upward program – Upward Soccer, basketball, flag football, softball and cheerleading.
- I learned that my grandkids are supposed to memorize a Bible verse each week. AND that if you misplaced the list when granny nanny-sitting, you can search a bit onliine, and might find the season's list posted. That's a big help to all of us Sandwich Generation grandparents!
- I learned it is NOT Upwards Soccer, Basketball, etc. (I kept wanting to add that S, and apparently, I'm not the only one. I must say, though, it's always nice to know you have company. 🙂 )
- I learned they don't keep score, at least not with the younger kids. They focus on rules, techniques, learning, and good sportsmanship. Terrific!
- I learned it is a great option for all kids. This is especially true for those with special needs or those who, like me, are the last ones chosen because the desire outweighs in and all skills.
- I learned I get just as invested with a 6 year old grandkid playing Upward basketball and soccer as I used to with the 14 year old cheerleader, the 15 year old volleyball player, and the 16 year old team statistician. (Granted, that was not a big surprise, but a pleasant one nonetheless. 🙂 )
- Most important, I learned the Upward program is a terrific way for our grandkids to have fun playing sports, practice good sportsmanship, and discover that the Bible applies to all ares of their lives, including sports. Awesome!
Oh, and in case you are also interested in Upward sports for your grandkids, I learned that you can find the location of an Upward Sports League such as basketball or soccer online. 🙂
How about you and your grandkids? Any fellow Upwards-ites – basketball, soccer, or ? Do you get to attend any of their sports games? Do you consider that one of the fringe benefits of the Sandwich Generation? Inquiring minds love to know. 🙂