We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, which is at no additional cost to you. :)
Happy Grandparents Day!
I thought it would be appropriate to interrupt our "comforting Bible verses" series to share some encouraging Grandparenting Bible verses and thoughts with you. (And if you would like some more comforting Bible verses this week, check out yesterday's post, 9/11 – The Sandwich Generation Remembers. )
According to the September, 1995, article, National Grandparents Day Originated in West Virginia by Donald W. Wyatt, Grandparents Day was created thanks to the hard work of Marian McQuade, a mother of 15, grandmother of 43, and great-grandmother of 15 who passed away in 2008 at the age of 91 (per Wikipedia). Through her hard work and perseverance, she was thrilled in 1978 when President Jimmy Carter signed Public Law 96-62 declaring the Sunday after Labor Day as National Grandparents Day.
As many of you already know, I consider grandparenting to be a special call from God. Whether you are grandparenting up close and personal or long distance or both, there are many ways we can come alongside their parents to provide extra spiritual encouragement and support to these cute blessings from God. And if their parents aren't Christians, it's even more important that we intentionally share the love of God and the Word of God with them and their parents, as the Lord leads. Not hitting them over the head with a hammer, of course. Rather, loving them with kindness, sending them letters with encouraging Bible verses, finding them great books and praise and worship music, and looking for other special ways we, as their grandparents, are especially good at as we enjoy special activities for grandparents and their grandchildren and add to your delightful family memories. 🙂
As the Word of God tells us:
- I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. 2 Timothy 1:5
- A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children. Proverbs 13:22 (What better inheritance than a pure love for God!)
- Grandchildren are the crown of old men. Proverbs 17:6a (And women 🙂 )
- A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31
- The righteous man will flourish like the palm tree, He will grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Planted in the house of the LORD, They will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still yield fruit in old age; They shall be full of sap and very green, To declare that the LORD is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. Psalm 92:12-15 (Who better to declare that to than our grandchildren!)
- One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts. Psalm 145:4
- The mercy and loving-kindness of the Lord are from everlasting to everlasting upon those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him, and His righteousness is to children's children–To such as keep His covenant [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it] and to those who [earnestly] remember His commandments to do them [imprinting them on their hearts].– Psalm 103:17-18 (Amplified)
- "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. " You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (Great advice for grandparents too!)
What a blessed and exciting ministry from our Lord. And the rewards are tremendous – both in spiritual treasures in heaven along with delightful hugs and kisses here on earth! How about you? What are some of your favorite Bible story and memory verses activities you enjoy sharing with your grand children? We'd love to hear! And be sure to subscribe to the SandwichINK free email newsletter (in the right column) to be alerted to each new post. There will be plenty more ideas and Bible memory verses projects for our "grandparenting call" in the months to come!
Again, Happy Grandparents Day!