We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, which is at no additional cost to you. :)
Advent is a fun time of Christmas preparation devotions and activities for everyone in the Sandwich Generation – from aging parents to tiny grand kids and all ages in between. My grand children and I consider Advent and Christmas activities for grandparents and their grandchildren to be an especially fun part of our Christmas season.
I already have a terrific collection of books, including one of my favorites – The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Whelchel. This year I am considering some intriguing new project and craft books to add to this activity library. These include Advent and Christmas decorations and projects along with easy crafts and ideas for the grandkids which might also be interesting and fun for the special seniors in our lives. All are great for helping those of us who enjoy making our own decorations, greetings cards, gifts, etc.
- Sticker Stories – The Very First Christmas. This is one that is very similar to another we've enjoyed in the past – a sticker book that lets our grandkids "make" their own children's Christmas book with the Nativity story – Of course, I'd want to get sets for each of them. 🙂
- Make and Do Christmas Cards and Creche is a cute little book that actually is a project in itself. It has a punch out children's Christmas Nativity set along with 12 greeting cards. You would need to buy one for each of the grandchildren working on this project so there will be sets for each. If you are looking for a way to make Nativity sets and handmade Christmas greetings cards easily, this could be a lot of fun.
- Every Day's a Holiday – Year Round Crafting With Kids (and Seniors! 🙂 ) This book looks like an excellent resource and it includes directions for cute Advent calendars for your children and grandchildren to make, along with a crown for St. Lucia's Day that could easily be changed into an Advent candles and wreath craft for them to enjoy at your house or take to their home. The book's crafts would also make delightful and easy crafts for any of the seniors in your family. I know my senior dad would have loved the project, "A Poppy For Remembrance!" – Both making it or receiving it.
- Speaking of easy crafts for seniors, A Card a Day by Leisure Arts might be just perfect to spark creative ideas for those who enjoy making their own handmade greetings cards as well as giving fun ideas for card activities for grandparents and grandchildren. My senior mom loves to make handmade greeting cards for the grandkids using recycled greeting cards, magazines, etc. She'd love this book for some fresh new ideas using those as well as using craft supplies easily available at crafts stores and even online craft departments at Walmart or other stores. Don't you love it when you find a good resource book for all ages in your Sandwich Generation family? 🙂
- Classic Napkin Folds – I spotted this and had to grin. I went to one of my grandson's classes last month and they were learning proper etiquette – how to set the table. In the process of the discussion, they got to the napkins and he piped up, "I know how to do fold napkins in three different ways!" I don't know about you, but I was definitely impressed. And he was the only one who knew how to do that! When I spotted this book, I immediately thought of him. I bet he'd love to learn more ways for how to fold a napkin because it's as much fun and as easy as the traditional kids paper crafts of folding simple paper airplanes and boats while being a very practical skill, as well. And for your beloved seniors in the family, think what fun family memories this might bring back. Not to mention the new family memories you can all create learning these napkin folding techniques together. Many are easy to do! (And don't forget to use your digital camera to add to your lovely storehouse of memories!)
How about you and your Sandwich Generation family? Have you found any great Advent and Christmas craft resources that are special traditions for you? Fun and easy crafts for seniors and grandkids alike? We'd love to hear. In the meantime, enjoy starting your own Advent crafts and do keep us posted on how they go! 🙂
Build Your Family Memories With Fun Advent Activities For …: Advent is a fun time of Christmas preparation act… http://bit.ly/hRb5o3