The Word of God is such an encouragement – especially to those of us in the Sandwich Generation caring for elderly parents, sometimes dealing with difficult or sad situations. In the mornings, I really love to dig into the Bible itself, whether I am just reading through a chapter or using a Bible study book. If I am on the road headed to babysitting grandchildren, I love to listen to good verse by verse Bible studies on my iPod. Most evenings, I like to end my day with a short devotional.
Sometimes I’ll read a paragraph or two from a good devotional book, other times I’ll rely on one of a variety of devotionals I’ve found online. Here are some excellent ones:
- Max Lucado has a weekly series of devotionals which are pulled directly from his books. He shares God’s Word through timely encouraging messages using simple and enjoyable stories.
- Greg Laurie is pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Southern California. Greg is a gifted speaker, teacher, and evangelist and has a sign-up form to receive his daily devotionals
- Senior Living Ministries has a devotional sign-up form at their website. With its focus on senior citizens, this is a nice one to print out for your elderly parents in addition to or instead of for you.
- SandwichINK – That’s right. SandwichINK has a weekly devotional for all of us boomers and seniors on Sundays. I share encouraging and comforting Bible verses for the Sandwich Generation, often with uplifting praise and worship hymn songs and music, and often link to Spiritual Sunday where you’ll find plenty more great devotions – many written by and for boomers and seniors.
- And if you click here, you can sign up to receive daily updates including these devotions for boomers, seniors, and grandparents.
God’s Word is awesome! And it’s such a blessing to be able to find so many ways to study His Word at home and on the web, isn’t it? Wonderful Christian encouragement and very handy for all of us who are so busy in the Sandwich Generation.
P.S. I’m currently reading a new Christian devotional that is wonderful for all, but especially for the Christian dealing with pain and suffering, sorrow and grief. I’ll be reviewing it soon, but thought I’d give you a quick heads up about it, as it’s WONDERFUL! I have been so blessed, comforted, and encouraged by 90 Days of God’s Goodness by Randy Alcorn. I pray you will be as well!