Twitter comes through once again with some great resources for the Sandwich Generation. Here are the best of the best for the past week:
- My grandsons' favorite Christian DVD, Angel Wars , came out this past week. They highly recommend this series!
- A very cool video of a new fish, the Psychedelic Frogfish, which was recently discovered . You can find it at SikantisBlog
- For all you iPhone fans, JotNot Turns Your iPhone’s Camera Into A Document Scanner. What a great tool for the Sandwich Generation caring for elderly parents and helping with the grandkids! Staying busy all the time, anything that saves time is always a big help!
- Did you know that if an egg floats to the top of the pan while boiling, it's best to toss it? I didn't! But What'sCookingAmerica did along with other eggstra good info about eggs. (Sorry, couldn’t resist ).
- Christian Audio Books is offering several interesting and free downloads this month. You can download the book, “Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life ” by Donald S. Whitney. Also available are several sessions recorded at "The With-God Life: The Dynamics of Scripture for Christian Spiritual Transformation," on June 19-22, 2005 at the Renovaré International Conference in Denver, Colorado. These include several of the General Session talks featuring two by Dallas Willard. Both the book and the conference downloads are absolutely free. You just have to register and go through the process of checking out. But you never have to give credit card information and I got mine quite easily.This is such a blessing for Christian Audio to do and I certainly appreciate them for it
- Great Bible study ideas: I love David Guzik's online verse by verse Bible study and commentary and I wrote about them back in October. I was using them for my Beth Moore Bible study this week and discovered they also have a mobile version for our smart phones. Just send this link – http://www.enduringword.com/mobile_commentary.htm – to your cell phone and click on it. Instant Bible study commentary on the go!
- Encouragement: God is a shield for all who take refuge in Him.
- Excellent news for the East Coast. @NerdNews is reporting that a milder Atlantic hurricane season is predicted. I do hope they are right.
- It’s spring and gardeners are starting to plan and plant. It's great fun and provides healthy physical activities for the elderly relatives plus you can do fun gardening activities for grandparents and their grandchildren, making a garden activity perfect for the entire Sandwich Generation family! Chiot’s Run has a fascinating blog on organic gardening with a great article on a Square Foot garden .
- Here are some fun, interesting, and useful brain teasers & games . I didn't do great at the colors but got 100% on the F test.
- If you are looking for some great puzzles that are specifically for helping those with Alzheimer's disease or other types of dementia, @mindingyourelder led the way to Health Central’s memory jogging puzzles .
- Here’s an interesting article on how those using social media aren’t just teens anymore. There’s plenty my age and older! One thing I found really interesting is that they drew the conclusion Facebook has the majority of the mature audience joining it while the younger set is headed for Twitter. I have to disagree though as I personally know many of my peers and above on Twitter. What do you think? By the way, if you open the page and find an ad, just click up in the top right to go on to the article.
- If you have a need to find cemeteries, mortuaries, monuments, hospices, or funeral homes in the U.S. or Canada, you can do so for free by zipcode on the Provider page at Cemetery Spot . This can be especially useful for long distance caregivers. They also offer help in selling a cometary plot. I know a couple of friends who would find that quite useful.
- The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article, “What to Know If You Are The Boss of a Caregiver ,” with important considerations for anyone hiring a private caregiver or using a referral-based agency. Thanks to @ homewatchnwa for that link.
- Did you know that avocado extract can boost the power of a major breast cancer drug? HeraldOnSunday reports that, “A toxin found in avocados could improve the disease-killing effects of the major breast cancer drug Tamoxifen, scientists believe.” Very useful information for any family or friend dealing with this disease. Thank you to @ twitterbo .
- Here’s a good idea from @CaregiverCoach : When your caregiving duties get frustrating, think of a nice thing to do for that loved one. You'll feel better and so will they as they feel loved.
- Are you a member of the Baby Boomers Generation and considering retiring in another community? GoToRetirement has a good article and calculator resource to check out.
That's it for this week. As we like to say over on Twitter, be tweeting you soon.