As a member of the Baby Boomer Generation, I can attest to the fact that the news of the day is VETERANS DAY is not JUST for seniors! It's important news for all of us. It's a day to remember and honor those service people who have served our country and worked hard to protect us and our freedom. As a daughter and niece of veterans, and with several sweet military personnel in my close family, I'm very grateful to all our wonderful and brave service people – past, present, and future. And I join with so many to pray for them for their safety and for our country.
It's also a good day for patriotic activities for grandparents and their grandchildren. I did a little research and found some terrific resources for all of us grandparents.
- The VA has fun activities for Kindergarten – 5th grade, and for 6th – 12th grade, along with teacher resources that could be useful for grandparents as well.
- The Holiday Zone has cute Veteran's Day songs for children set to familiar tunes such as "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." Perfect for musical activities for grandparents and grandchildren! They also have a great patriotic music archive for all ages to enjoy and an interesting collection of printables and projects.
- If you'd like to share the history of Veteran's Day with your grandkids, just click here.
- Enchanted Learning has some fun Veteran's Day projects for kids – some of which are free.
- About.com's Homeschooling page has several Veteran's Day printables, with word search and puzzles, for older grandkids.
And, here's a smile for all of us – whether we're old enough to have sweet family memories of hearing or seeing Bing Crosby sing this with our parents (that's me) or this is new to us, one of the cute Smilebox eCards with one of Bing Crosby's fun little ditties, complete with a hint of Christmas.
Create and share amazing Hallmark greetings in minutes!
Have a blessed and safe Veterans Day, whether enjoying patriotic activities for grandparents and grandchildren, caring for elderly parents including veterans, or spending a few minutes in prayer for all our brave soldiers - men and women, past and present. :)
P.S. Thank you so much for your comments. I enjoy them very much and read each one. I also love the grand ideas so many of you share that help and encourage other readers. I do my best to reply to them all but value your patience when that isn\'t possible.