It's hard to believe but the school year for our kids and grandkids is coming to an end. And the Awana program at our church has already finished for the year. No more Bible memory verses for the grandkids til September? Ahhhh, but that's where this Sandwich Generation granny nanny comes in. I love teaching them to "hide God's Word in their hearts" ALL year long, so each summer for the past few years, we've done our own little mini-program of encouraging Bible verses for children and grandchildren. And for the last two years, I've shared them here at SandwichINK. Last year, we worked on teaching 1 Corinthians 13 – Love is patient and kind to the grandkids. The year before, it was the Fruit of the Spirit. This year, it's the Ten Commandments for the children and grandchildren.
Did you know that, while all churches use the same passage of Scripture for the 10 commandments – Exodus 20 – they don't all divide it the same? I memorized them when I was very young, using the Lutheran catechism. Since half of my grandkids will be using a different catechism, I'm going to use theirs as my guide as I pull their Bible memory verses directly from the Bible, using my beloved New American Standard Bible (NASB), though I may also read the passage from other versions to help them get a fuller grasp of it. Here's the first commandment for the kids and grandkids – complete with cute country clip art.
I am the LORD your God…You shall have no other gods before Me. Exodus 20:2-3
Because of the wide span of ages of my grandkids, I'm going to focus on short and easy Bible memory verses for the children. But I will be reading them the whole section of Scripture that covers each verse and I'll share the whole section here as well, for any of you who want their kids and grandkids to learn extra.
I'll also be sharing craft ideas and activities along with fun books and songs I turn up to help us all as we work together to learn this important passage from the Word of God. And, as the Heidelberg Catechism points out quite wonderfully, "QUESTION 103. Can any man keep these ten commandments perfectly? ANSWER. No mere man, since the fall of Adam, ever did or can keep the ten commandments perfectly. QUESTION 104. Of what use are the ten commandments to us? ANSWER. They teach us our duty, and show our need of a Savior." What a great reason to learn these inspirational Bible verses, don't you think?
For more encouraging and comforting Bible verses and pictures for the Sandwich Generation, join us at Internet Cafe Devotions for Word-Filled Wednesday. And for more posts in this series:
The Ten Commandments Bible Memory Verses for Children:
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-2
- The Ten Commandments Boogie Song for Children and Grandchildren is Fun for All Us “Beach Baby” Boomers Too
- Great Book for Teaching the Ten Commandments to our Kids and Grandkids
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-3
- Enjoy Fun Family Memories and Creative Learning With This Ten Commandments Song for Kids and Grand children
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-4
- Easy 10 Commandments Crafts Activities and Ideas for Kids, Grandkids, and Seniors
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-5
- Teaching the Ten Commandments for Kids and Grandchildren and Need a Song? Here’s Two!
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-6
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-7
- Want to Know Which is the Right Wonder Kids 10 Commandments Song for Your Grand kids? Here’s The Difference!
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-8
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-9
- Which Folk-Style 10 Commandments Song for Kids Do You and Your Grandchildren Prefer?
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren-10
- The Ten Commandments Hand Motions Activities for Kids and Grandchildren
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren: When 10 = 2
- The Ten Commandments Number Activities and Song-s for Kids and Grandchildren
- Bible Memory Verses Fun-Teaching The Ten Commandments to Our Children & Grandchildren For EWE
Other Related Posts:
- Happy Mothers Day Music and Encouragement for Boomers and Seniors
- Wonderful Devotions On Grief and Loss Makes This an Excellent Book for Boomers and Senior Citizens
- Comforting and Encouraging Bible Verses for Caregivers Dealing with Grief Issues
- We Can Worship God Through Caring for Elderly Parents and Babysitting Grandchildren
- Sweet Example of Leaving a Spiritual Legacy for Our Grandchildren
- Deal With Anger Over the Sandwich Generation Issues From the Inside Out – Starting with Surrender to God
- Leaving a Sweet Spiritual Legacy by Following the 8th of the 10 Commandments for Kids and Grand children
- These Birds Are a Lovely Picture For These Comforting Bible Verses for the Sandwich Generation
- God’s Eye is On the Sparrow AND On Our Sandwich Generation Families
P.S. Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate them very much and read each one. I also do my best to reply to them all but, as you can imagine, there are times (many times, lately :) ) when caregiving needs do not allow for that. Thank you for your patience and your sweet comments.